Friday, November 15, 2013

Topic 1: Meeting New People - Jesse Wu

Let's get this started shall we. Meeting new people. Hmm. I actually come to a roadblock (or should I say writer's block) and would like to generalize this to experiencing anything new.

I have found that experiencing anything new for the first time is an incredible feeling that really cannot be repeated. For example, say I watch a movie which I didn't know anything about what would happen in it. A recent one I've watched is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. In this case, suppose the watcher had never read the book. The movie would have been pretty entertaining in that you really would not know what would happen. Would Bilbo succumb to the draw of adventure and journey with the dwarves? Would the group get eaten by some trolls? Who is this brown wizard? What is this ring and will Bilbo make it out past this mysterious creature to escape with it? Will Bilbo kill the creature to get past it? When does this movie even end (since its the first part of a trilogy, one really can't guess where it would end)?

From these questions, there are  answers which really say plot-twist! Experiencing this story for the first time allows one to enjoy being surprised and/or mind-blown. Knowing the story already makes experiencing it somewhat boring. Why is giving away plot sometimes called spoiling and why do people say "Spoiler Warning! Do not read ahead!" before spoilers? The element of surprise is a powerful tool for storytelling. I would bet that story lovers would rather get sick or lose money as opposed to being told spoilers because it ruins their experience.

Speaking of The Hobbit, that movie had some amazing music. I've found that the first time hearing a great song has one of two effects. One is that I hear it and I think "this is pretty strange," and I play it again and then start to think of it as a great song when I hear it the second or third time. The first time hearing it is just a warm-up in a way. This is kind of like developing love or not judging a book by its cover. The second effect is that the first time hearing the song makes me instantly enjoy it. This is like love at first sight. However, listening to a great song repeatedly for many times makes the song become boring after a while, which I kind of find depressing. New songs are always surpassing older ones because people get bored of music which they have already listened to many times.

The same effect of enjoying something the most on the first time extends to stories in books, stories in video games, video games in general, food, places, and even pure knowledge. Maybe it is better to not know everything in this universe (have omniscience). Being constantly curious has its benefits. One would prefer to not know everything. I guess being an omniscient being like a god wouldn't be a very exciting job.

No comments:

Post a Comment